One could argue that the fact that close to 50,000+ international students study in New Zealand each year, out of a total of 150,000+ applications, makes it an excellent choice for international students.
They also apply for a study visa because only a small number of international students are admitted.
Students are eligible to apply for a student visa if they receive an offer letter and accept it.
The processing time for visa applications can range from 8 to 10 weeks or even longer, depending on the number of applications received for a specific academic session.
This article explores the prerequisites, fees, qualifications, and application process for a student visa in New Zealand.
See Also: How to Apply for a Student Visa in Japan: Requirements, Cost, Eligibility, & Process
What are the Qualifications for Student Visa in New Zealand in 2023?
To obtain a student visa in New Zealand, an international student must fulfill the following criteria:
- The acceptance of the applicant’s offer letter for a program recognized by the New Zealand Ministry of Education or the NZQA is required.
- Candidates who wish to study in New Zealand must show proof of a yearly income of about INR 8,00,000.
- The applicant must have access to NZD 1250 each month in order to maintain their standard of living in New Zealand.
- a visit outside of New Zealand to show that the applicant has the resources needed to study and live in New Zealand.
What is the Cost of a Student Visa in New Zealand in 2023?
The cost of a New Zealand visa is NZD 330 plus roughly INR 747 in receiving center fees for students who submit their student visa applications online (New Delhi).
Candidates must pay USD 330 in addition to roughly INR 955 in receiving center fees when mailing their requests for student visas (New Delhi).
Candidates must check the official website for the most recent price before applying because processing fees can change depending on the Visa Center.
Also Read: Student Visa Attorney | Applying for a Student Visa in the U.S.
What are the Documents Required for a Student Visa in New Zealand in 2023?
In order to apply for a student visa to New Zealand, applicants must submit the following documentation:
- A minimum of three months must pass after the end of your visit to New Zealand for your passport to remain valid.
- filled-out application for a student visa (INZ 1012)
- receipt for the application fee payment (fee as mentioned above)
- It is necessary to have a seat offer, and it must be from a university or institute in New Zealand. The forms are typically given out after the tuition has been paid.
- a letter from your school confirming that you are a student studying abroad and providing evidence of health insurance
- As proof of your sincerity in wanting to stay in New Zealand, you might be asked to show Health and Character certifications.
- two photos the size of a passport
Note: Additional paperwork might be needed. The interviewer may ask for more documents during the in-person discussion.
- These could be proof of academic or financial standing documents.
- transcripts, degrees, certificates, and diplomas from the institutions you attended
- scores from examinations required by your college, such as the TOEFL, GRE, or GMAT
- How do you plan to cover all living, educational, and travel expenses?
How to Apply for a Student Visa in New Zealand online?
Candidates should be aware that online applications for New Zealand visas are preferred. The online method is not only faster than mail but also less expensive.
Here’s how to complete your application using NZ Immigration Online.
As previously mentioned, gather your papers. Prepare all of your primary and supplementary documents in PDF format by scanning them.
Don’t forget to scan and add a picture of yourself. Candidates are advised to review the embassy’s required photo requirements on the official website.
Depending on the applicant’s background, the New Zealand High Commission typically needs 63 calendar days to process a visa application.
Therefore, the students must apply for their visas at least three months before the start of their course. Complete your online application. You must register for a free account and complete the form.
Editor’s Pick: How Long Does It Take to Get a Student Visa in the US, Canada, & UK?
The majority of the time, a student’s partner or parents will be granted a visiting visa for the same duration as the student’s spouse and dependent children.
In New Zealand, spouses of students with work visas are allowed to work full-time.
However, dependents of students on guest visas are prohibited from working.
The following degrees can only be pursued in New Zealand if you are currently enrolled as a student there and in a committed relationship with your partner.
- A degree at level seven (or higher) on the New Zealand Qualification Framework in a profession that is on the Long-Term Skill Shortage List and where there is an absolute shortage of skills
As an international student, you must complete your course within the time period noted on your acceptance letter for the course.
Even if you don’t yet have a job offer, you are still eligible to apply for a post-study work visa.
With the help of your visas, you can find temporary employment while you look for a position in your industry. They are good for a maximum of a year.
You may work part-time for up to 20 hours a week if one of the aforementioned conditions for your program of study applies:
- At least two years pass before it ends.
- It results in a New Zealand qualification that counts toward the requirements of a visa for skilled migrants.
- It is a tertiary institution with a focus on the development of English language proficiency; you must also have an overall IELTS band score of 5.0 or higher in the general or academic modules to apply.
You might want to check this: Hire Your Student Visa Immigration Lawyer for your Travel
Where to Apply for a Student Visa in New Zealand?
1. Immigration New Zealand (INZ), New Delhi Centre
Telephone: +91 11 4259 6300
Fax: +91 11 4761 2990
2. New Zealand High Commission
Sir Edmund Hillary Marg
New Delhi 110 021
Telephone: 0091-11-4688 3170
Fax: 0091-11-4688 3165
3. New Zealand Consulate General
Street Address: Level 2, 3rd North Avenue, Maker Maxity, Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai 400 051, India
Telephone: +91-11-42596300 or email
Fax: +91 22 6770 9003
Scholarships for New Zealand Universities
Finding the money to pay for school in New Zealand is a significant challenge for international students.
However, the New Zealand government and other universities offer a range of scholarships that students can apply for and benefit from.
The top scholarships for studying in New Zealand are listed below for students to apply for. Additional scholarships include:
- BrokerFish International student scholarships for graduates of CCSE
- National Overseas Scholarship Program for SC and other Candidates in the Central Sector
- The Ritchie-Jennings Memorial Award
Applying for a student visa in New Zealand is difficult. You must determine the number of factors before you even think about applying, such as the type of visa that will work best for you, the prerequisites for New Zealand student visas, and the application process.
And in the midst of it all, you need to gather proof of your financial stability, review your medical history, and purchase travel insurance!
To give you a general idea of what should be done and to streamline the visa application process, we have compiled all the information you need in this blog.
We sincerely hope you were able to use the information we gave you. Good luck!
Frequently Asked Questions
Cost of a New Zealand visa: Students who submit their student visa applications online must pay a visa fee of NZD 330 plus roughly INR 747 in receiving center fees (New Delhi).
It’s challenging to apply for a student visa to New Zealand. Before you even consider applying, you need to figure out a lot of things, including which visa will work for you, what the requirements are for student visas in New Zealand, and how to apply.
You can stay in New Zealand for up to nine months, depending on your plans. You are welcome to come here for a vacation, three months of school, or to see friends and family.
If you are enrolled in a full-time course that lasts at least two years, you are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week. You are pursuing a degree that will earn you points toward a Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa application.
If international students meet all requirements, they can apply for permanent residency either while they are still in school or after they have finished.