The PTK Hites Transfer Scholarship honours Phi Theta Kappa members who are prepared to transfer to senior colleges to pursue a bachelor’s degree for their high academic achievement and rigour, involvement in college and community activities, and leadership accomplishment.
A scholarship endowment established in 2010 as a result of a matching donation from the Hites Family Community College Scholarship Foundation funds the awards. The first Hites Scholars were announced in 2010, furthering Phi Theta Kappa’s commitment to assisting transfer students in completing their bachelor’s degrees.
Level/Field of Study
The PTK Hites Transfer Scholarship is designed for aspiring undergrads to support them in their quest to obtain their first degree.
The PTK Hites Transfer Scholarship is brought to you by Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) an American academic outfit that is recognised as the largest and most prestigious international honor society serving two-year colleges around the world.
Criteria for PTK Hites Transfer Scholarship
- At the time of enrollment, you must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) semester credit hours [or nine (9) quarter credit hours] of associate degree, college-level curriculum through December 2023.
- Be an active member of Phi Theta Kappa.
- Maintain a 3.50 cumulative GPA out of a potential 4.0 on all college-level coursework taken in the last five years.
- Include all transcripts from the fall of 2016 to the present.
- At the time of application, GPA is calculated, and no courses can be designated as unfinished. GPA must be maintained until transfer to a four-year college.
- In the fall of 2023, I plan to transfer to a regionally approved four-year institution.
- The student must be admitted to study full-time in his or her program of study.
- Have earned at least 45 college-level semester credit hours (or the quarterly equivalent) by December 31, 2023, and at least 50 college-level semester credit hours (or the quarterly equivalent) when transferring to a four-year college.
- Have temporary or permanent residency in the country of the college the student is attending OR have a visa approved by the college.
- Please go to Articles Section for acceptable documentation proving citizenship.
Required Supporting Documents to Apply for PTK Hites Transfer Scholarship
- Letters of Recommendation
Application Process for the PTK Hites Transfer Scholarship
All application processes are done online. KIndly use thelink below to apply for the scholarship if you are eligible.
Tips for Applicants
Hites Transfer Scholars have traditionally participated in civic and honors activities, conducted research, and had their findings published. Their research of educational materials leads them to a deeper grasp of how education influences the human will to achieve rather than fail.
Hites Transfer Scholars are pushing the boundaries of academic offerings while simultaneously attempting to make a difference. They look for ways to improve not only their own but also the educational experiences of those around them. They work to help others thrive in academia and have a variety of interests outside of academia. Community involvement and major influence on campus and in the community earn praise from peers and officials alike. Hites Transfer Scholars do not fear failure; rather, they view it as a learning experience and a chance to progress.
What Judges Look out for When Reviewing PTK Hites Transfer Scholarship
Academic leadership discussion questions pique the judges’ interest. Transcripts will be reviewed based on the rigor, breadth, and depth of courses, as well as relevance to the declared main field of study. The application, like other programs, is scored on the overall picture it provides the judging panels. Applicants who can properly offer material in all parts will discover that their application is more competitive and provides the judges with a clearer picture of who they are. Students that start the application process early and seek the advice and input of others will often have a stronger application for this and other programs.
Open to Phi Theta Kappa members who will be transferring full-time to a senior college in the autumn term and have demonstrated exceptional academic success.
- Each of the ten scholarships is worth $7,500.
- $75,000 in total prizes
- Commemorative medals
What exactly is the distinction between Phi Theta Kappa and Phi Beta Kappa?
Phi Theta Kappa is the international honor society for two-year colleges. It has a tenuous connection to Phi Beta Kappa, the most prestigious collegiate honor society in the United States. Phi Theta Kappa emphasizes four pillars of excellence: fellowship, leadership, scholarship, and service.
Is it difficult to get into Phi Kappa Phi?
Phi Kappa Phi membership is an honor bestowed upon the top 7.5% of second-semester juniors and the top 10% of seniors and graduate students.
Is Phi Beta Kappa a prestigious honor?
Phi Beta Kappa, often regarded as the nation’s most renowned honor society, seeks to promote and advocate excellence in the liberal arts and sciences, as well as to induct the most remarkable arts and sciences students at American colleges and universities.