The Kentucky Coal County College Completion Scholarship program is a scholarship program initially designed for residents of the Kentucky county. It is designed to support residents in their first-degree program.
The scholarship can only be used in a college outside of a coal-producing county if the student is enrolled in an eligible bachelor’s degree program in a major not offered at any coal-producing college.
Table of Contents
Level/Field of Study
This scholarship is strictly for Kentucky residents who want to pursue their first degree i.e bachelor’s degree.
Kentucky hosts this scholarship in America for Americans.
Eligibility for the Kentucky Coal County College Completion Scholarship
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must meet the following.
- Must be a permanent resident of the Kentucky coal-producing county.
- Must have lived in one of these KY Counties for at least one year: Bell, Breathitt, Clay, Daviess, Elliott, Floyd, Hancock, Harlan, Henderson, Hopkins, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Magoffin, Martin, McLean, Menifee, Muhlenberg, Ohio, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Pulaski, Rockcastle, Union, Webster, Whitley, or Wolfe
- You must be a US citizen.
- It would be best if you did not have any financial obligations to the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority that are past due (KHEAA)
- You must be in excellent academic standing and have completed at least 60 credit hours toward your first bachelor’s degree.
- You must be enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program at least halfway.
- A FAFSA must have been completed. (If you have not yet submitted the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), then you should do so immediately; if the current year’s taxes have not been filed, you should estimate your own or parental income.)
Requirements to Apply for the Kentucky Coal County College Completion Scholarship
You need to prepare your transcript, FAFSA completion, and proof that you are an undergraduate (an admission letter is fine).
How to Apply for the Kentucky Coal County College Completion Scholarship
- Visit kheaa.com to apply for a Kentucky Coal County College Completion Scholarship.
- Sign in (the link is in the top right corner of the homepage). When you visit the KHEAA website, you will be requested to create a user ID and password.
- Select “MyKHEAA”.
- From the left-hand menu, choose “Apply Online for Scholarships.” On the following page, you’ll find a link to the Kentucky Coal County College Completion Scholarship.
Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) is the body in charge of the scholarship. They handle everything from collation to deciding the winners.
The scholarship is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis on the initial FAFSA completion date. As a result, you should submit your FAFSA and KCCCS applications before the deadline.
A nonprofit, independent institution in a coal-producing county can receive up to $7,0
A public university extension campus in a coal-producing county can pay up to $2,377 per year.
A public or nonprofit, independent college whose main campus is in Kentucky but not in a coal-producing county can receive up to $3,514 per year.
Deadline for the Kentucky Coal County College Completion Scholarship
This scholarship is yearly and usually closes application collation in may. So don’t think miss out on it.
Tips to Win
One major problem is applying after the deadline. Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority doesn’t accept applications after May.
The Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) was created in 1966 as a public company, governmental agency, and Commonwealth instrumentality to promote students’ access to higher education. KHEAA accomplishes this by administering several financial aid programs and disseminating information about higher education options.
This scholarship is not a full-tuition scholarship but what Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority has to offer isn’t a bad one.
Join us on social media, we are ever-present there to keep you up to date. All you need to do is follow. We’ll be glad to meet you there. Don't forget to subscribe!