Here you will find answers to questions like how long does it take to get a student visa, the time required to get a student visa in the US, and more.
The type of visa you are attempting to obtain will largely determine how long it will take to process your application for a student visa.
Temporary nonimmigrant visas may only take a few weeks or months to obtain in contrast to immigrant visas, which may take years to be approved.
It is challenging to give a precise timeframe for the evaluation of an application because, for instance, the US government reviews each application individually and in the order in which it is received.
One application for, say, a tourist visa might get a response in a few weeks due to their circumstances, whereas another application might not get a response for several months.
This article details the time required to get a student visa in the US, Canada, and the UK, as well as the important details to be noted while taking this step.
Comparison of the Student Visas for UK, USA, and Canada in 2023?
1. I Require which of these Visas.
If you intend to pursue an undergraduate or graduate degree for a duration greater than one year, you must apply for a long-term student visa. These all have very inventive names:
- F-1 Student Visa for the United States
- Permission to Study in Canada
- UK’s Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
If you’re coming from the EU and want to study in the UK, you won’t need to apply for a visa.
However, if citizens of most nations want to visit Canada or the United States, they must apply for a visa.
Except for Canadian students traveling to the United States, most countries require visa applications. If you’d like to be extra certain, look for a list of nationalities that are exempt.
2. How long does the Visa Application Process Take?
The length of time it takes to process your visa will depend on where you apply.
The UK, the USA, and Canada’s visa officials all advise beginning the application process four to six months prior to your intended trip because of this.
Three months should pass between the application and processing for a UK visa.
In some countries, processing your visa may take 2 to 15 days, in others, less than 30 days, and in the slowest circumstances, 60 to 90 days.
In the UK, there are also options for quick processing, but they are not free.
There is a guarantee of 24 hours for super-priority or 3 to 5 days for priority.
US visa applications should be submitted three months in advance to allow for processing time.
It typically takes 2 to 3 weeks for the nation that processes student visa applications the quickest.
In the USA, student visas take precedence over all other visa categories.
It is recommended to apply four to six months in advance due to Canada’s lengthy processing times for visas.
Applications are typically processed within 7 days, but this is not always the case.
Frequently, applicants must wait 35 days to receive their applications.
It could take between 42 and 140 days for students from some countries to hear back.
There is no way to process Canadian visas more quickly.
Check this Also: Student Visa Attorney | Applying for a Student Visa in the U.S.
3. What is the Price of a Student Visa?
The price of acquiring a visa consists of the visa fee, any potential yearly health insurance premiums, processing fees, and any travel costs incurred while making an attempt to apply for a student visa abroad.
Yes, for some nationalities, this may be required!
- Visa fees for the UK are 381 euros (335 GBP).
- A yearly health surcharge of 170 euros (150 GBP)
- There is an additional processing fee of roughly 62 euros if applying through a visa application center (55 GBP)
American visa fees:
- The visa fee is 309 EUR (160 USD plus 200 USD for SEVIS).
- Health insurance is not required to apply for a U.S. visa.
- Some countries might be required to pay a small (10–40 USD) fee for visa insurance.
- If you are an Iranian national, you must travel to a neighboring country to submit an application.
Fees for Canadian visas:
- Visa fee: 99 EUR (150 CAD).
- A biometrics collection fee of 56 EUR (85 CAD)
- There will be a need for many different nationalities to travel abroad for medical tests or biometrics.
- For some nationals, a service fee of 25 to 66 CAD will be necessary.
- EU citizens are required to pay a 7 CAD electronic travel authorization fee.
4. How many Appointments are you Required to Attend?
UK visa: The visa interview must be conducted at a single visa appointment for all applicants.
the same as for a UK visa, in the USA You might be required to attend two interviews because the places where you apply for a visa and where you have your visa interview differ in some countries.
Canada Visa: The number of appointments you must keep when applying for a Canadian visa varies depending on your nation and unique circumstances.
This may require submitting an application online without making an appointment or up to three appointments (interview, medical, and biometrics).
5. Which Specific Documents are you going to Need?
When you apply for a student visa, you must provide specific documentation attesting to your identity, legal status, and ability to attend school in the country of destination.
These include identification, photos, a letter of acceptance from the university, financial records, a health certificate, proof of language ability, document translations, and any other items the visa officials may require.
You will need the following documentation to apply for a UK visa:
- Proof of sufficient English language ability
- The results of a medical examination may differ based on your nationality.
- A monthly income of 1265 GBP (or 1015 GBP if you live outside of London) serves as proof that you can cover your living expenses in the UK.
You’ll need the following paperwork to apply for a visa to the USA:
- Proof that you have the means to pay your US living expenses. Even though the exact monthly payment is not stated, it is still necessary.
- You won’t have to prove that you can speak English.
- The visa officers will need to be convinced that you won’t have a full-time job during your study period.
The following documents are needed to obtain a Canada visa:
- The results of a medical examination may differ based on your nationality.
- No documentation of your French or English language proficiency will be required.
- Proof that you can afford to live in the UK: If you reside in Quebec, your monthly rent will be 917 CAD; otherwise, it will be 833 CAD.
When can you Start Applying to Schools?
If you’re applying to academic programs, it’s typically advised to begin contacting institutions at least a year before you anticipate beginning your studies (requiring an F-1 visa).
The start of the new school year is frequently in August or September.
Especially if they are prestigious universities like Harvard or Stanford, American universities can be challenging to get into.
You should unquestionably submit applications to five to ten different institutions, including a few where you are confident that you will have a good chance of being accepted.
If you plan to apply to a vocational program, the calendar won’t be as consistent (requiring an M-1 visa).
For details on scheduling and admission, you must get in touch with the schools directly.
You may only proceed to the next step and submit an application for a student visa.
The majority of students worry about how long it takes to get their student visas.
Given the increase in applications, it is challenging to predict how long it will take to process yours.
This is why many applicants want to know how long it will take for their application to be processed from their current location before applying for a student visa.
We hope that by comparing the lengths of time required to obtain a student visa in the US, Canada, and the UK, we have been able to help you decide which of these nations you should give priority to.
Frequently Asked Questions
On average, it takes 21 working days to process a visa after the Embassy receives your application.
At least three months before the start of your university degree program, you should apply. After submitting your application, you can anticipate waiting 3 to 10 days to hear back.
The processing period after submitting your application for a study permit in Canada may last up to 90 days, but it usually goes more quickly. This is also based on the circumstances in your country of origin. The Student Direct Stream can be used to get the study permit faster
New students may apply for a student (F and M) visa up to 120 days before their program’s start date. The length of time you must wait to get a visa appointment varies greatly between nations. Depending on the situation, you might receive it in three days or three months.
The processing time for a US visa application is 3 to 5 weeks. The applicant may receive a favorable response to their application following processing, and the consulate will deliver the document.