The Charles Butt Scholarship for Aspiring Teachers consists of an annual award of $8,000 for up to four years, as well as opportunities for ongoing training and development, mentorship from practising public school teachers, and membership in a network of aspiring teachers across the state that is organized by the Charles Butt Foundation.
Through teacher preparation programs at partner colleges, about 100 scholarships will be given out annually, with the cohort increasing to 500 scholars yearly. An application, pre-screening by university teams, and a day-long event that consists of a group exercise, a simulated teaching session, and a panel interview are all parts of the competitive selection process.
The Raising Texas Teachers initiative, in addition to providing scholarship funding, enhances the demanding education that Charles Butt Scholars receive at our partner programs by giving Scholars access to ongoing professional development, mentoring and feedback from teachers and principals, and connections with other Charles Butt Scholars across Texas.
Through a combination of instruction and support, Scholars will be given the chance to practice and develop their pedagogical skills in real-world classroom settings, see masterful teaching in action, reflect on advice from knowledgeable teachers and school administrators, and engage in a supportive community.
Level/Field of Study
This scholarship is designed for students passionate about teaching and interested in studying at any of the Charles Butt Foundation Partner institutions.
The Charles Butt Scholarship for Aspiring Teachers is hosted by Charles Butt via his Charles Butt Foundation in the United States of America.
The Goal of the Charles Butt Scholarship Program
Increase enrollment in and graduation from demanding university-based teacher preparation programs statewide in terms of quantity, quality, and diversity.
Encourage promising future educators to pick jobs in the Texas public school system where there are shortages of teachers or where the majority of students come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds (math, science, special education, or bilingual)
Make sure that the teaching staff’s demographics correspond to the students they serve.
Create an effective network of teachers who are dedicated to working in high-needs institutions and in subjects where there is a shortage and who are prepared to speak out on behalf of the profession.
Eligibility for the Charles Butt Scholarship for Aspiring Teachers
- Enrol in a teaching-related program at a partner university full-time or have enrollment status there.
- be a resident of Texas
- possess a solid academic record and a track record of success
- possess talents in a group or peer leadership
- After completing the program, show that you’re committed to pursuing a career in education in high-needs Texas public schools.
Charles Butt Scholar Knowledge, Skills, and Values
Each Charles Butt Scholar must exhibit the knowledge, abilities, and values listed below, according to Raise Your Hand:
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Persistence and continuous learning
- Passion for education
- Belief in the power of teaching
- Academic achievement
Deadline for the Charles Butt Scholarship for Aspiring Teachers
The deadline for the Charles Butt Scholarship for Aspiring Teachers varies by university. You can visit the scholarship portal to see the deadlines by clicking here.
- Financial Aid: The Charles Butt Scholarship offers up to $8,000 to $10,000 each year for up to four years at university-based educator preparation programs throughout the state, depending on the program.
- Professional Development: The Charles Butt Foundation offers Scholars continuing chances for professional growth, such as the free annual conference known as the Charles Butt Scholar Symposium.
- Networking: Each Charles Butt Scholar has the chance to meet a mentor who is a school administrator and has taken part in our Raising School Leaders program. They are also given a platform to engage with the statewide network of Charles Butt Scholars and Alumni.
How to Apply for the Charles Butt Scholarship for Aspiring Teachers
Commence your application for the Charles Butt Scholarship Foundation by clicking the button below