Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship is a scholarship opportunity established by Microsoft to encourage young black Americans to pursue a career in IT. Microsoft is dedicated to supporting the continued growth and development of black employees and encouraging students to pursue a career in technology.
Level/Field of Study
This scholarship is for US-based black Americans with a genuine passion for IT. It is meant for high school students who wish to go for a 4-years course in a US university in engineering, computer science, computer information systems, or select business programs (such as finance, business administration, or marketing).
It is an idea by Microsoft Corp. to encourage Black Americans to develop an interest in Infomation and Communications Technology.
This scholarship was established by Microsoft Corp. A top tier tech firm in the United States for Americans.
Criteria for the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship
For you to be considered eligible for this scholarship, here are a couple of criteria that you must meet
- You must be a black American for example, African-American, or of African descent.
- You must be a legal US resident
- A cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- Also, you must be in high school, senior high precisely
- Enrolled/Accepted to study any of the following: engineering, computer science, computer information systems, or select business programs (such as finance, business administration, or marketing)
- Demonstrate leadership at school or in the community.
- Show a strong passion for technology.
- In need of financial aid to pursue your goal of going into Infomation and Communications Technology.
- Plan to go for a 4-year degree course in IT in a college or University.
Required Documents for the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship
There are documents required for this scholarship. All of which are compulsory, they are as follows:
- Transcript (official or unofficial). Microsft doesn’t mind whichever you provide but will not accept a forged one.
- A picture of yourself in coloured. (You certainly know why).
- 2 letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be letterheaded from a faculty or staff member at your school.
- Resume. Should include Extracurricular activities (school and community related), honours and awards (in tech preferably) and Work experience.
- Two Essays. In 500 words or less, portray how you intend to partake in the technology industry in future. (Assuming you have praiseworthy work on technology in high school, include that too). Your second essay should be about why you need this financial aid in something like 250 words,
Microsoft will not accept mailed documents.
Application is done online on the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship Portal.
Microsoft selects winners at its own discretion. Afterwhich the winners will be contacted to come and claim their scholarship.
Forty-five 45 students benefit from this scholarship every year. Four (4) will be awarded $20,000 scholarships distributed over 4 years ($5,000 per year, renewable) and the remaining forty-one (41) will get a $2,500 one-time only scholarship each,
Deadline for Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship
The scholarship is open from January through March 2024. Any application afterwards will not be considered. Therefore, try to submit your application before the deadline.
Tips to Win the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship
Write an essay that is worth to be read. It should be fascinating. And most importantly be within specified length i.e 500 words for the IT dream plan and 250 words for your financial aid essay.
Also, apply within the specified timeframe. Microsoft will not consider applications after the deadline.
This is an opportunity for blacks in America who are passionate and wants to explore the Tech industry to take advantage of. It is one of the 8 Best Undergraduate Scholarships in the USA for International Students.
What do you think about his scholarship?