The Ministry of Education (MOE) established the BACS-Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Program (HES) to encourage international students to study Mandarin Chinese (Huayu) in the Republic of China (Taiwan), to provide them with opportunities to increase their understanding of Taiwanese culture and society and to promote mutual understanding and interactions between Taiwan and the international community. Huayu Enrichment courses will comprise a summer term (June and July or July and August) as well as term sessions that could span 3, 6, or 9 months to a year.
Level/Field of Study
The BACS-Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship is strictly for students interested in studying Mandarin in a language school.
The BACS-Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship is hosted by the British Association for Chinese.
The British Association for Chinese Studies is a non-political organization whose mission is to encourage and promote Chinese studies in the United Kingdom, particularly through the organization of conferences, lectures, seminars, and other appropriate activities, the dissemination of information, and the encouragement of cooperation among individuals and organizations interested in the study of China. It represents the full area of Chinese Studies as the UK’s only comprehensive topic association for Chinese Studies. BACS is responsible for liaising and advising with other area studies groups, funding sources, China-related representative offices, and government ministries. We also speak to media representatives on behalf of the field.
Eligibility for BACS-Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship
To be eligible for this BACS-Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- Candidates who are over the age of 18 when they submit their scholarship applications may be considered for awards.
- Students from Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macao are not eligible to apply; however, all other students from across the world are invited to apply.
- Candidates with A-Levels or qualifications deemed comparable by their current institution of higher learning
- The candidate should have an outstanding academic record and a strong academic standing.
- To be considered, candidates must display a high level of moral rectitude.
Requirements to Apply for BACS-Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship
The following are the documents required to apply for the BACS-Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship
- An application submission form (provided by BACS).
- A scanned copy of the individual’s passport from the United Kingdom.
- scanned copies of certificates attesting to the individual’s highest academic achievement
- Students who are actively enrolled in college but have not yet gotten their diplomas must submit a copy of their most recent academic transcript.
- Evidence that you have applied to a recognized Taiwanese language institute.
- Candidates who wish to attend the university must send their application form, along with all other supporting documentation, to the admissions office in either electronic or physical form.
Deadline for BACS-Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship
The application period will end at 17:00 on Thursday, March 31, 2023. (British Summer Time).
Duration of the BACS-Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship
There will be a limited number of nine-month scholarships available, but scholarships for three, six, and nine months may also be available. Those who were given the scholarship for a nine-month term must acquire a Band B or above on the Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language throughout their time in China.
To pass the Band B exam, you must have a high degree of skill in Mandarin in all categories.
All candidates for the post must understand that failing the exam would result in the loss of one month’s pay.
Those applying for the nine-month scholarship should be confident in their ability to meet the requirements.
During the time given for studying Mandarin.
Opening and Closing Dates
- The nine-month scholarship may span from
- a) September 1st, 2023 to May 31st; or
- b) December 1st, 2023 to August 31st.
- Within the academic year, the six-month scholarship has three options:
- a) 1st September 2023 to 28th February;
- b) 1st December 2023 to 31st May; or
- c) 1st March to 31st August.
- The three-month scholarship can be used for one of four terms during the academic year:
- a) September 1st to November 30th, 2023 (autumn term);
- b) December 1st, 2023 to February 28th (winter term);
- c) March 1st to May 31st, 2023 (spring term); or
- d) June 1st to August 31st, 2023 (summer term) (summer term).
How to Apply for BACS-Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship
Once completed, applicants must submit their scholarship applications electronically to the British Association for Chinese Studies (BACS). An application form, extra information, and comprehensive guidelines will be accessible on the BACS website beginning February 1st:
It should be noted that, in addition to applying for the scholarship, each applicant is responsible for submitting their own independent application to the language centre of their choosing before applying for the scholarship. A list of officially recognized language centres can be found here
BACS-Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Selection Process
The Candidate Selection Procedure:
This will be done in accordance with the instructions issued by the British Association for Chinese Studies (BACS) and the Education Division of the Taipei Representative Office in the United Kingdom (TRO). All materials given will be thoroughly processed and evaluated.
If an applicant has made it to the final phase of consideration for a full scholarship for nine months, they may be asked to participate in an interview coordinated by the Education Department, most likely near the end of April.
If a successful applicant rescinds their right to a scholarship before arriving in Taiwan, they will not be awarded one. The position will be filled by the next available candidate.
Scholarships with a shorter-term commitment, as well as those who do not already live in the area, will be prioritized.
The winner of the BACS-Taiwan Huayu Enrichment Scholarship will receive a NT$25,000 monthly stipend to cover tuition as well as a portion of their living and maintenance expenses.