The Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship by the American University. The American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship encourages academic opportunities while also promoting international diversity. The AU Emerging Global Leader delivers, inspires, and serves with vision by combining the best of AU – academic achievement, leadership development, and global commitment.
Table of Contents
Level/Field of Study
The Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is for new international students. It is not restricted to courses.
The Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is hosted by the American University in America but not for Americans.
Eligibility for the American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
There are criteria that must be met for the university to consider your application. universities do not take their eligibility requirements for a joke. However, the following are the things you must check before applying for this scholarship:
- It is designed for international students. US citizens shouldn’t bother applying for this scholarship.
- A minimum of 3.8 GPA equivalent (or in the top 10 per cent of graduating class) and 9th-12th grades, commitment to service
- 90 TOEFL iBT and above (with no subscore lower than 20) or 7.0 IELTS or 600 paper-based TOEFL (or above)
- This scholarship is only available to first-year students only as it is awarded in the awardee’s first year and renewable all through his/her stay at the university.
- If you are a student in the IB system you should be graduating with a full IB diploma in at least 3 HL subjects. If you are studying in the British A-Levels system, then you must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2022.
- If you are an undergraduate of any university anywhere in the world don’t bother applying. Even if you haven’t commenced lectures.
- If you graduated high school earlier than two years ago, you are no longer eligible.
- Proven commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and advancing the needs of people in your home country.
The selection process for the Emerging Global Leader Scholarship (EGLS) is competitive. American University (AU) EGLS applicants who apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common or Coalition Application, and international admissions process by December last year, will be given priority consideration.
Requirements to Apply for the Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
- TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English, PTE, or Cambridge Assessment English Test score results by at least December last year.
- A bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form – each demonstrating a minimum of U.S.$4,000.
- Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist by AU EGLS priority deadline of January 2022.
- A letter from your EducationUSA centre’s adviser confirming your candidacy if you are applying through a program supported by EducationUSA or if you are a past FLEX or YES high school scholarship recipient from the U.S. Department of State.
- Complete the online AU EGLS application on the Emerging Global Leader Scholarship application portal.
- Submit the bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form via your Future Eagle Portal or send it by fax to +1-202-885-1025. You can use examples of bank letters and the AU CFIS form template.
- Submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents. Note that the preliminary AU EGLS application packet must include a bank letter confirming a minimum of US$4,000 (not US$70,464). If you do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline you will not be considered.
- Submit the letter from your EducationUSA centre’s adviser confirming your candidacy. Request for the letter to be sent to [email protected] as a PDF.
American University takes its time to review applications. Zoom interviews and additional essay submissions will be required for AU EGL semi-finalists and finalists.
If by chance you are not chosen as a finalist, you may still be evaluated for admission to American University in Washington, DC, and partial merit scholarships may be offered. Be that as it may, you must present verification of assets totalling US$70,464 to continue the application process (estimated costs for the first year of study).
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].
This is a completely sponsored scholarship. It includes full tuition, room and board. To study in the United States, you will need a visa preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa. Fees such as necessary health insurance, books, plane tickets and miscellaneous expenses (about $4,000 per annum) are not covered by this scholarship.
Deadline for the American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
There is just one AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship available for Fall 2022. If you are not chosen as the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship EGL recipient for 2022 and wish to proceed with the application cycle, you may be eligible for partial merit scholarships.
Tips to Win
Do not leave any of the requirements. Also, if you make it to the final and are asked to write an essay, let the essay be happy that you wrote it. You know what I mean.
This scholarship seems to be quite hectic to go for, But what do you expect from a fully-funded scholarship? You will not regret doing this for yourself. As a matter of fact, in the list of the 8 Best Undergraduate Scholarships in the USA for International Students, you will find the American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship.
Join us on social media, we are ever-present there to keep you up to date. All you need to do is follow. We’ll be glad to meet you there. Don't forget to subscribe!